Sunday 17 January 2010

Sunday 17th

Well, we finally made it to church this week and it was good to see everybody again.
It was my turn to take the little ones in Sunday School and our theme was saying thank you. It was fun to hear what the children really wanted to say thank you for -presents, biscuits, dinosaurs were mentioned as well as flowers, mummies and daddies!
It was a good session, I think.
It was also good to see Moses again. Moses is working for a Christian organisation called Careforce. He spent last year attached to our church working with the young children and young people most of the time. This year he is working in Edinburgh helping young people with drug and alcohol addiction, which he finds very interesting and rewarding. Moses himself is an incedible young man. He is Kenyan and his mother and father live in a village in the countryside. His mother still collects water and I think his father is a subsistence farmer. Moses went to a missionary school, walking 5 miles four times a day. At the age of 8, he was sent to live with a relative in Nairobi because he was bright and could be educated there. He now has a degree, I'm not sure what it is in, but he is working for Careforce for the moment, for very little money.
When I hear stories like his, I wonder what I have done with my own life. I've not been brave enough to even travel very far, although I am fascinated by other cultures. I despair when I hear about children living in poverty and without any chance of education, so why don't I do something practical?
On a lighter note, I have read Daniele's blog with her photos of Paris. I love the way she finds things to photograph that most people would walk past. Clever girl!
I must go now, my programme is on TV! - No,I'm NOT a telly addict....much!!

No comments: