Monday 9 March 2009

Monday 9th March

I've just been looking at my blog and realise that I haven't written anything since 21st February. I must have had a funny turn, as I dated it 21st March. Did you realise that Barbie is 50 years old today? Not that I had a barbie doll as they weren't around when I was a little girl. I had a beautiful doll with a china face that my uncle brought me from Canada. She was lovely but years later I lent her to my cousin to put in the Christmas crib on the children's ward where my cousin was the ward sister. Unfortunately, my lovely doll got broken which was accidental but very sad.
My uncle was a chef on the Empress of Canada ship which sailed between Liverpool and Canada. Uncle Bill was a larger than life character and I thought he was wonderful. he took me on board when I was a little girl and gave me some ice cream. Wonderful! I had never seen a fridge before, never mind such a huge one and I don't think that I had eaten many ice creams before, either. He was only a relatively young man when he died at sea. He was buried at sea and my aunty was given a chart with the exact spot marked. She was left with 3 young boys to bring up.
Well, it's a nice bright day today, but cold and damp. I've been to the doctor's AGAIN because I am having difficulty hearing. I now have to have my ear syringed next week to see if that helps. I seem to be spending a lot of my time at the doctor's and various medical centres lately - I'm sure that I have something written on my cards. I used to work as a receptionist when I ws at college, and we had our old dears who were regulars. I hope I'm not regarded as an old dear at our surgery!
I've been really busy in the last couple of weeks. I'm not complaining but I still have to organise my annual charity walk. This year we are doing it for help the heroes charity, which helps soldiers who have been wounded etc in the wars we are involved in. I am very distressed to hear that two young soldiers have been killed in Northern Ireland, the first murders for a long time. I just hope that the peace process continues and the troubles don't start up again. Anyway, I must go and do something instead of sitting here droning on.

No comments: