Thursday 6 November 2008

Thursday 6th November

Well all the excitement of the american election is over and there is a black american elected president - what an historic moment. I hope that he can live up to the expectations everybody has of him and that his term of office is a good one for all. It's hard to believe that it's only 40 -50 years ago that black people didn't even have a vote and we must not forget the struggles and bloodshed that has allowed this moment to happen - the civil rights leaders and ordinary people who were brave enough to fight for their cause. One of the most moving moments of the TV coverage was to see jesse jackson with tears rolling down his cheeks and one of the most worrying was to see Barack delivering his victory speech surrounded by a high-walled bullet proof screen. Let's hope nothing untoward happens to him.
I am finding it difficult to get my act together this morning. I have been up really early on three mornings this week to go to hospital and dental appointments and this morning I feel very lethargic. Everything is fine at the hospital and I've still got some of my own teeth!! I went to the hospital because I've had a persistent cough since last Chrismas and my voice keeps going husky. They couldn't find anyting on my lungs or vocal chords, thankfully, so I'm now discharged from that clinic. The consultant made me laugh when he asked if I was an opera singer because my voice/vocal chords were very strong. Anybody who has heard my singing will know how wrong he is - I can clear a hall in 3 seconds!
I enjoyed the art class yesterday, although I'm finding this topic rather difficult. We are doing a wintry landscape in oils and I don't think that I like using oils as a media - it's very hard. My landscape looks pretty awful but it is't finished yet. One day I'm going to make a fortune, I hope.
I finished my carol service so that's one job out of the way. I've just got to do the organising bit which shouldn't take too long. then I've got tokae some props for our WI birthday party. We're having a sixties party and doing some silly sketches - The flowerpot men, eurovision and a scene from Coronation Street - it should be OK. Rehearsal on Sunday after being frozen at the cenotaph for Remembrance Sunday parade.
Well, I'd better become the Domestic Goddess and do some chores - I'll have another coffee first! I'm out for a meal tonight with 3 of the other teachers from Chapel School. That'll be nice. I still miss the kids, especially as we head towards Christmas. Never mind - I don't have time to prepare lessons now.

No comments: