Sunday 9 November 2008

Monday 10th November

I've just been trying to read my friend's blog - as it's written in French I find it difficult at times. Mind you, if I had my french dictionary at hand I might do better. What strikes me is that her life is so much more cultural than mine! My blog is a bit boring, but that's how it is.
I've been so busy this weekend that I could do with collapsing today, but I'm off to help my friends move house today, so collapsing will be postponed until this evening. this friend remarried in summer, and they have been living between 2 houses since then. Why? Well, they are moving into the husband's house, which is a rather gorgeous old stone weaver's cottage. But inside neede refurbishing as it really was a 71 year old bachelor's house - a huge machine in the laundry room, for starters. Anyway, it's fit for habitation now and B. is leaving her home this morning. It'll be mixed feelings for her I'm sure, but we'll get through.
I'll give you a taster of my weekend:
Friday: shoppping etc. Evening-Guides
Sat. Up at 6; on the train by 7.30 am to get to Preston b 9.30. Meeting until 2.30pm. Packed train back home. Had to stand all the way. In house at 4.45. Out again by 6 to go to as cabaret evening which was good. the singer sounded just like Karen Carpenter - what a beautiful voice she had. Home by midnight. Up early to be at the Cenotaph for parade. We had a good turn out from guides and they behaved very well, which is a miracle! It was really damp and cold but nice. Broadbottom is only a little village, but there was a brass band and a parade from the community centre to the cenotaph. The head of the little primary school always asks the chidren to come so of course, their parents come too, so there is always a good crowd. This year was a bit special. In previous years, the reciting of the poem was always done by an elderly man - a much loved member of the community. He had been in the war and spent many years raising money and awareness for the British Legion and many other acts of charity. Sadly, he died last year, so at the end of the service a bench was dedicated to his memory.
We look at old people and don't know what their lives have been. A friend told me of an old lady who goes to their chapel. She's very frail and needs help towalk etc. At the remembrance service yesterday she walked in with a row of medals on her coat. It turns out she was a major in the army during the last war and was secretary to one of the Americans at the signing of the peace treaty - amazing stories. I've just watched the news and one of the British heroes of the Falkland war has been interviewing the last three veterans of the Great War. They are grand old men. I hope that the last survivor is given a state funeral in honour of all the men who fought in that war. When we were in Bath they were just putting up a head and shoulders statue of one of the men, Harry Patchett. It was exquisite. K. actually spoke to the artist, who told K. that Harry was a remarkable man even at his great age.
Back to my busy weekend. Sunday afternoon - rehearsal for the WI birthday party entertainment. It was so bad that we're going ot have to rehearse again next Sunday otherwise it will be embarrassing for us and the audience!
I've just got back from helping at the move and had a sandwich. It went well and, hopefully they will soon get sorted in their new marital home, which is so gorgeous. I'm now going to do some hoovering, washing, ignore the ironing and hopefully do some work on my painting .......after I've made some phone calls. sometimes I get exhausted just hinking about what I have to do!

No comments: